Ginger syrup is a key ingredient in many mocktails, including the Night Train, a chaga based mocktail we often drink.
It adds a spicy sweetness and a little kick at the back of the throat that’s reminiscent of the mouthfeel of alcohol. It just makes things a little more interesting.
You can also use ginger syrup to stir into tea or drizzle over ice cream.
Ginger syrup for mocktails and other drinks
- 1.5 cup ginger cleaned and sliced, no need to peel
- 2 cup sugar brown sugar works best
- 2 cup water
- Bring sugar, and water to a simmer in a small heavy saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir gently until the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Add the sliced ginger.
- Gently simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes.
- Strain through a fine sieve, then allow cool to room temperature before decanting into a clean glass bottle.